Sunday, April 18, 2010

Walnut Butter Cake (II)

Just back from Beijing! I managed to bring forward my flight a day ahead as the meeting ended earlier than expected. I "hopped" onto the past midnight flight and arrived Singapore on Friday morning. To be back earlier in Singapore is precious to me as my hubby was flying off to US on Saturday morning, if I would to follow the original flight schedule, I would have very little time with him before his trip. 

Beijing's weather was still cold when I was there, although the weather forecast reported that it would get warmer each day, the temperature remained around 3 -10*C. To board onto 0045 morning's flight, I arrived at the Beijing T3 at 9:45pm. I was a bit "kaisu" because I didn't want to be late. I didn't expect the coldness at the boarding hall, although I wore 2 layers with a winter jacket outside, I still found it hard to endure as it's really freezing. Time seemed to pass very slowly... Finally, I heard the boarding call and quickly dashed into the plane.  Bye to Beijing!  

 
The Iceland volcanic eruption has caused a lot of disruption and inconvenience for those who are travelling into/ out of Europe but since my hubby was going to US, he shouldn't be affected. On Sat morning, he and his colleagues were about to board the plane but a last minute call had stopped them from going. Their conference meeting had been postponed as the Europe teams couldn't travel because the airport was closed. It is fortunate that they hadn't boarded the plane else they would have to do a BIG "U" turn. The only inconvenience was to retrieve the luggage as it had been loaded .. :(
Although I still feel tired after back from Beijing, the weekend is great as it allows me to regain my energy and recharge myself. I was looking for recipes for experiment in the kitchen, I "short-listed" two, one was peanut butter layered cream cake, the other was walnut butter cake. I decided a simple cake as I reckoned it can be served as breakfast for tomorrow. I will "KIV" the peanut butter layered cream cake for next time..

 
This is a new recipe, I chose this because by judging at the ingredients, I expected this butter cake to be fluffy, soft and fragrant as it has milk powder, evaporated milk and egg white added which is different from what I baked before. I believe the cake will turn out as delicious as my previous attempt.
                           
Is this recipe a keeper? I would say the cake turned out quite tasty and fluffy but not moist enough. If I compare this with my previous recipe, I will prefer the formal as it's not so milky and more moist. However, if you don't like too buttery (which my previous recipe will be) and want a lighter version of butter cake, I believe you will like this recipe.  If you find the too milky, cut down the milk powder.  Overall, this recipe is a keeper.  My family like it.

                            
Here is the recipe for reference, and for anybody who wants it. Enjoy baking!

Ingredients:
- 200g butter
- 50g margarine
- 200g caster sugar (I cut down to 180g)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp evaporated milk
- 200g plain flour }
- 4 tbsp (40g) milk powder } sift together
- 1/2 tsp baking powder }
- 100g walnuts (chopped)
- 3 egg whites

Method:
  1. Grease and line 20cm (8") baking tin. Preheat oven to 175*C
  2. Beat butter, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy (about 4-5 mins)
  3. Add in whole eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
  4. Add in vanilla essence and milk. Fold in sifted flour, milk powder and baking powder gently (don't over mix). Then fold in walnuts.
  5. Whisk eggs whites until soft peaks form. Fold into flour mixture gently (don't over mix). Spread batter into prepared tine. Garnish with walnuts. Bake at 175*C for 50 mins or until cooked.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails