Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nearly Flourless Chocolate Cake

I wanted to bar baking this Sunday as I had already baked the Oreo cake and Muffins for 2 days consecutively, I should take a break and spend my time with other thing else. I wasn't sure why I ended up hiding in the "kitchen" playing the flour and sugar again... :( 

I had no idea what to bake but I knew definitely not a plain cake since plain cake is more for breakfast. I wanted something more challenging,  I was toggling between a cheese and chocolate cake and finally decided a chocolate cake because  I was attracted by Terri's post of this Nearly Flourless Chocolate Cake. It's looks so deliciously mouth-watering ..

This cake was quite difficult to handle as it's very moist and soft but wasn't spongy (but not dense) as it's almost flourless. You could eat it when it is warm or you could chill it. This cake is really delicious and wonderful. It literally melts in your mouth and will be perfect if you go with a scoope of ice-cream.   I'm not a chocolate fan and can't take rich chocolate cake especially the flourless type but somehow, I enjoy this with just have to cautious about the amount intake..

With the amount of stuff I bake, if I don't give away, I guess my whole family will have to join the fatty club..  This cake may make you feel very sinful but I'm sure  it'll make your day :)


The following recipe is adopted from Terri - A Daily Obsession.  You could omit the ganache if you want a lighter cake.

Ingredients
- 125 g butter
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 120ml whipping cream } chocolate ganache
- 120g dark chocolate }

Method:
1. Set oven at 190 C, put water into the oven tray up to a level of 1 cm. Grease and line bottom of a 22 cm springform pan.
2. Melt butter & choc in oven at low heat or over a basin of boiling water. Add sugar and mix well. Cool.
3. Transfer choc to a mixing bowl, add egg yolks one at a time till combined and then fold in flour.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks and fold in the choc mixture until blended.
5. Spoon into the prepared pan and bake water bath for 30 minutes. Leave it cool.
6. Spread a layer of chocolate ganache (bring whipping cream to boil and fold in the chocolate, mix well and chill for 8-10mins) and chill in fridge for at least 5 hours before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails