Tuesday, April 6, 2010

French Country Cheesecake

Another cheesecake again!?  I could not help it as the cottage cheese which bought two weeks ago was expiring soon... Initially, I bought this for New York Cheesecake but woman is always very flicker minded, what had been decided may change when mood swings. Nothing surprising. I decided to try a new recipe! I guess I always believe life is full of adventure to be lived...

I was contemplating between Cottage Cheesecake and French Country Cheesecake, both recipes call for similar ingredients except the latter asks for extra source cream, the step is similar as well. I finally decided to go with French Country for only one reason - I had to clear stock as the sour cream was expiring soon as well !!

I was eager to know how the cake turned out because my previous New York Cheesecake received quite a high score from my colleagues, I would expect this recipe not to disappoint me since both used cottage cheese.   However, I was wrong..I am unsure whether it lies with my skill or this recipe.
The cake texture is between New York Cheesecake and Japanese Soft Cheesecake, in terms of taste wise, I still prefer the New York Cheesecake as I just find something missing from this.  I asked my hubby to bring some to his office to share with his colleagues and generally, they gave good comment.   Might be I banged too high hope on this recipe .. 

Anyway, it's a good try.  Here you go ...the recipe.

Cake Base Ingredients:
- 70g digestive biscuit base     - 35g butter (melted)
Cake Ingredients:
(A)
- 50g sugar      
- 30g butter
(B)
- 250g cottage cheese (sieved)   
- 30g cornflour (sieved)    
- 1/2 lemon zest, grated
(C)
- 4 eggs (60-65g each)
(D)
- 40g sour cream  (loosen up) 
- 40g whipping cream
(E)
- 2 egg whites       
- 50g sugar               
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Method:
  1. Crush digestive biscuit into crumbs with rolling pin, add in melted butter and mix till well combined. Pour into 6" springform tin and press till even and level. Chilled for later use.
  2. Cream (A) until smooth (abt 2-3 mins).  Add (B) and cream until well blended (abt 1-2 mins)
  3. Add (C) one at a time and cream until well combined.  Add (D) and cream until smooth.
  4. In another bowl. whip the egg whites in (E) until foamy (abt 30 sec) then add the remaining (E) ingredients.  Whip until stiff (for another 2 -2.5 mins).  Add it to the cheese mixture from step (3).  Mix until well incorporated.
  5. Pour the cheese filling onto the prepare biscuit base.
  6. Bake in water bath at 160*C for 70 -80 mins or until golden brown and the centre is set.  Remove it from the oven and set aside to cool.  Chill for 5 hours or overnight before serving.

P.S.  For (D), you could use all sour cream or whipping cream.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails