Saturday, April 24, 2010

Banana Walnut Buttermilk Muffins (II)

With some replan of project schedule, my next travel has been pushed out to a month later, therefore, you will see me updating my blog more often during this period since I could spend time in kitchen as long as I'm at home. Life is full of uncertainty, it's difficult to tell what will happen tomorrow or the next moment... initially, I was a bit worried about the frequent travel as I really do not wish to be away too often from home. The delay of project plan helps to space out the travel but it has significantly reduced the job challenge in the short term. Is this a good sign? I asked myself .. guess it depends on which angle I am looking at ..

It's always difficult to please my two daughters with same kind of food, my younger likes Oreo cake but my elder doesn't. Two of them have quite distinct preference, it's always my headache each time when I bake. I can only satisfy one of them each time. Having said that after I baked the Oreo buttermilk cake for my younger daughter, I decided to bake this banana muffins for my elder since this is one of her favourite. With 20 mins of preparation, half an hour of resting and another 20 mins of baking time, the muffins are now freshly out from oven .. yummy!

This is not a new recipe, I have bake this a couple of time. As I mentioned previously, this recipe is a keeper. If you would like a muffin for breakfast, here you go.. I've repasted the recipe below.. Enjoy!!

Preparation
  • Preheat oven at 200*C for 15 mins (top and bottom heat). Baking Time: 20-23 mins
  • Each recipe makes approx. 12 standard muffins.

Ingredients:
  • 250g self raising flour  (** can substitute with 250g plain flour & 2.5 tsp baking powder)
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 150g sugar (**can cut down 10% of sugar if the banana is very ripe)
  • 2 eggs (65g each)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence  
  • 80ml buttermilk  (** can substitute with 80ml milk with 1tsp vinegar or lemon juice and stand for 5 mins)
  • 120g melted butter (microwave 20 sec)
  • 240g banana (sliced)
  • 80g walnuts (lightly toasted), chunky pieces

Method
  1. Sift self-raising flour and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar till well mixed.
  2.  In another bowl, whisk eggs with vanilla essence and beat well. Pour in butter milk and whisk till combined. Add in melted butter and continue to stir till well combined.
  3.  Make a well in the centre of dry ingredient (flours in step 1) and pour in beaten liquid ingredient (step 2). Fold in walnut and stir well with a balloon whisk till even and smooth (don’t over mix).
  4.  Place a spoonful of batter into each muffin cup, scatter with banana, place another spoonful over. Repeat the same step until all the batter and ingredients have been used up.
  5. Rest unbaked muffins for 30 mins before placing in the oven to bake for 20-23 mins.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails