Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yam Layered Cream Cake

I have long been trying to bake a Yam Cake but never put an effort to achieve.  It was a request from my elder daughter since her last year birthday.  Although I like yam cake and I've some recipes, I am not confident that the cake will turn out nice as I experienced a couple of failure. 

However, since these days, I can't afford to spare time to attend new baking classes, I have no choice to turn to the cookbook recipe else I'll have no new product to try and showcase ..hee hee..

This recipe is modified from one of Alex Goh's, it attracts me because the cake looks very tempting and the steps are quite straight forward.  As long as you know how to bake sponge cake and whipped the cream, you will find it fuss free. I find the most time consuming part is to stream the yam and smash it. Other than that, it's the skill about the icing work.
 
The above picture is the cake layered with yam but without the decor. It looked plain but I believed it would be brighten up if some little decors were sprinkled on top. Since I couldn't find anything in the kitchen, I decided to pipe the cream around the edge and line with Longan. I then sprinkled some chocolate curls and mini M&M, hope it could enhance the look. Not sure whether this make over is overdone. Anyway, it's a good try.
 
Was this cake turned out as nice as what I expected?  From my view, there is still room for improvement as  it's not creamy enough and the yam taste is not prominent.   However, my elderest daughter and hubby think it's just perfect.  

Here you go ..if you want to give it a try.

Prepare 23-cm Vanilla Sponge Cake - Pls X1.2 times.

Fillings
- 450g steamed yam (cooked and mashed)
- 90g sugar (+15g)
- 1 tsp yam paste/ essence
- 1 tsp Gelatine
- 2 1/2 tbsp boiling water
- 300g whipped cream.

Method
1.  Mix the streamed yam with sugar, add in yam paste and Mix well.
2.  Dissolve gelatine in boiling water and add into whipped cream. Mix well.
3.  Add step 1 into step 2.  Mix well  (don't overmix).  This forms yam cream filling.
4.  Slice the cake into 3-4 layers and sandwich it with the above yam cream filling.
5.  Decor with whipped cream and longan as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails