Saturday, March 27, 2010

Prune Butter Cake

Treasure the time at home as that gives me the opportunity to do baking whenever I'm available! Since I've not been exploring any new cake, I think I should try something new this round. However, I have no intention to make something fanciful today given that I've limited hour.

Rich cake like cheesecake or chocolate cake is not suitable for breakfast, plain cake likes Chiffon or butter or Muffin is always the ideal.  Therefore, plain cake is my choice for today.

I love to buy and read baking cookbook these days.  Last trip in JB, I picked up a few cookbooks and food magazines, one of them only features butter cakes.  The author described that his baking career was prompted by butter cake, it was the smell of the butter cake from a cake shop that fascinated him.  From there, he started to bake for friends and family and developed into a passion and then he decided to take up baking as full time career .. this story sounds very familiar as most bakers seems to have a great passion in what they like to do..

I wanted to bake Kueh Lapis for the Chinese New Year but not materialized because I was too busy with others. This pack of prune was bought since then and since I have no more urge to bake anymore Kueh Lapis, I decided to use it for this recipe - Prune Butter Cake.  I believe the prune and butter should blend well like Lapis.

How was the cake turned out? The texture of the cake is soft and fine but less buttery   The prune doesn't add much taste to the cake, therefore, for those who don't like prune, I believe they should be able to accept this cake.   This cake is not my daughter's choice, she still prefer my previous recipe  but my maid and her friends tend to like it very much.  For me, I think I am with my daughter as well.

Well, if you like something less buttery, this recipe suit you.

Ingredients:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 100g margrine
- 200g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs (abt 60-65g each)
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g pited prunes
- 2 tbsp strawberry fruit jam
 
Method:
1.  Grease and line a 20cm (8-in) baking pan; preheat oven to 175*C.
2.  Beat butter, margarine, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
3.  Add in eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
4.  Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, mix well.
5.  arrange prunes onto baking tray.  Spread batter over the prunes.  Pipe diagonal line on top.  Bake in oven for 40 mins or until cooked.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails