Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Cake

 
Breakfast is always easy for me. Normally, I only take two pieces of biscuit or one to two slices of kaya butter toast and a cup of "Kopi-O Kosong" (i.e. long black). Isn't it boring ? I can't tuck in anything that is rich and heavy early in the morning.  Many Singaporean like to start their day with a plate of fried Mee Hoon or Nasi Lemak but if I do so, I'll feel my stomach very bloated and it will spoil my appetite for lunch.

 
Butter cake with coffee is perfect combination for breakfast but if I will take, a thin slice of cake is fine. Too big a piece will make my day very lousy.  That's why all these cakes that I baked are not for my consumption, it's for my daughters and friends/ relatives.  And of course, my maid gets to enjoy as well, she is a cake lover especially butter cake.

Both my daughters like the peanut coffee cake from Polar Cake Shop, I used to like it as well.  Since I found this peanut butter cake recipe from one of cookbook I newly bought, I decided to give it a shot.

 
This is the first time I used this recipe, hence I did some homework by comparing this with other bakers' receipe but most of those posted on the web are very rich, they either go with chocolate or layer with rich peanut butter. What I want is just a plain cake for breakfast.   Since nothing I could use for comparison, I followed straightly to the recipe.  The baking process is very simply, I just need to use a mixer and one mixing bowl.  The preparation/ mixing time is short, it only took me 20 mins.   The cake turns out very tasty and rich, my family and friends like it except my elder daughter.  She commented that it's too dry (not moist) and some of the part not fully cooked.  I've the same thought as her.  If I will to bake again, I think I'll add in some milk and bake it a bit longer - 5 to 10 mins more.


Here is the recipe for sharing.

Ingredients
- 200g butter
- 200g peanut butter
- 250g caster sugar (can cut down 10% of sugar)
- 5 eggs (each 60-65g)
- 280g cake flour         } sift together
- 1 tsp baking powder  }

Topping
(Rub butter into flour and then add brown sugar and peanut butter. Freeze for 5-10 mins before sprinkle on batter)
- 50g cold butter
- 50g plain flour
- 50g peanut butter
- 30g brown sugar
(You could replace 50g peanut butter and 30g brown sugar with 50g peanut and 50g brown sugar instead)

Method
1.  Grease and line 8" baking tin.  Preheat oven to 175*C for at least 15 mins.
2.  Beat butter, peanut butter and sugar (speed 3-4) until light and fluffy (abt 5 mins).
3.  Add in eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
4.  Reduce to low speed, add in sifted flour and baking powder, mix until well blended (5-10sec).  Spread batter into prepared tin.
5.  Sprinkle topping over the batter.  Bake in oven for 45 mins (should be at least 50 -55 mins) or until cooked.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails