Sunday, February 7, 2010

CNY Coconut Crisps (I) & (II)

                       
I had been trying to search for a recipe that called for egg white to get rid of the left over egg white after egg washing the pineapple tarts and other cookies. This recipe just fit into this bill. As this was my first attempt, I wasn't sure how the cookie would turn out, therefore, I took a conservative approach to make a small amount.  Surprisingly, the cookies tasted pretty good and it's very crispy as well.


I found a bit difficult to spread the batter to the size that I wanted to sicne it was my first attempt. Another thing to take note is it's quite time consuming to bake this cookie, therefore, you need to prepare to spend more time if you decide to. Join the club if you are interested in . Here you go for the recipe ...

Ingredients:
Group A - 100g butter, 96 g icing sugar
Group B - 100g egg white
Group C - 120g plain flour, 40g toasted grated white coconut shreds (ready pack from bakery shop)

For decoration:  50g white sesame seeds (toasted at 180 fan forced for 10 mins)

Method:
1.  Beat ingredient A in a mixer until fluffy.  Add in ingredient B and mix well.  Fold in ingredient C.
2.  Spoon the mixture of step 1 into piping bag.  Pipe the mixture onto lined baking tray.  Well-space apart.  Use metal spoon to spread it thin. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.   Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
3.  Bake in a preheated oven at 170*C (top bottom heat) for 10 mins or till golden.  Cool well and store immediately as the cookies could go soggy rather quickly.

2nd Batch on Feb 7: Since this cookie tasted quite well, I decided to bake another batch on Feb 7. For this round, I increased 50% more of the coconut shreds (from 40g to 60g) as I wanted a stronger coconut taste. It did turn out as expected but less crispy as compare to earlier batch. I still prefer the formal as since it's crispier. If I've chance to bake another batch, I will remain 40g of coconut shred but add in 20g of coconut powder. I believe this cookie will remain stronger coconut taste and not compromising its crispiness.  

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails