Sunday, January 17, 2010

CNY Closed Pineapple Tarts


Pineapple Tart is one of the "must have"/ "must eat" cookies during Chinese New Year for most of the people. A lot of people is crazy about it and doesn't mind to pay a premium for something that is nicer and better in quality. Me too.. I used to stock up 2-3 bottles of pineapple tarts every year and I could eat it as breakfast for a consecutive 2 -3 weeks without fail. It's so amazing that how much I was hooked into it ...

Why Pineapple Tarts could cause such a craving to many people?? I guess the sweetness (with bit of sourness) of the pineapple, the buttery fragrant of the pastry and the melt-in-mouth effect make this cookie such a heavenly combination!




































This is not my first attempt to bake Pineapple Tarts, I started last year and tried a couple of times but I have never cooked the pineapple jam myself. I normally just pick up off-the-self from Supermart or Phoon Huat since it's hard for me to spare the time. I admit that the off-the-self jam is certainly not as good as those home-cooked, the quality of those off-the-self is also inconsistent, i.e. sometimes is too sweet or sour, sometimes is too hard. It depends on batch. Therefore, it's very hard to make good quality tarts.


I used Phoon Huat's and Bake King's brand for the pineapple tarts last year, although the quality wasn't that fantastic, it was still acceptable. This time round, I tested this batch using Bake King's, I was very disappointed as the jam was too hard. I remembered last year, I only complained about too sweet only. Anyway, for the next batch, I will not be using anymore off-the-self brand since I've asked my sis-in-law to order from a bakery shop although I have to pay a premium. I would rather spend a bit more than sorry.



This recipe is surely a keeper except the pineapple jam.  Pls try to cook your own or buy a premium one.











Preparation
- Preheat at 175*C (top bottom heat) for 15 mins. Baking Time: 15 mins. Makes about 105 pcs.
Ingredients
- 300g butter (cold and firm)
- 2 big egg yolks
- ¼ vanilla essence
- 380g plain flour }
- 40g corn flour } sift together
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 945g pineapple jam                                         
- 1 egg yolk + 2 drops of cooking oil and water ( for egg wash purpose)
Method
1. Cream butter for 3 mins, add in egg yolks and beat for 3 more mins until light and creamy. Add in vanilla and mix till well combined.
2. Sift the flours and baking powder together, add into step 1 together with sugar, carefully mix them together by hand. Use finger to stir and scrap aside the flour to butter batter till even distributed. Kneed for a few minutes to form dough. Put aside. ball. Repeat the same step till finish the jam. Put aside.
3. Take 1 tsp (9g) of pineapple jam and roll into a
4. Take 1 (compress) tsp (7g) of dough (from step 2) and roll into ball, make an indent, wrap with pineapple jam ball from step 3, roll to give it a neat round shape and then place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
5. Glaze a layer of egg yolk over the top of tarts and bake at 175*C (top bottom heat) for 15 mins or till lightly golden.
6. Allow tarts to cool on wire rack before storing .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails