Sunday, January 10, 2010

CNY Almond Sugee Cookies (I) & (II)

Can't image Chinese New Year without the new year traditional cookies.. In the past, I always bought the cookies from friends, colleagues or Bengawan Solo since I wasn't know how to make. Since picking up baking, it's my chance to showcase my skill :) 


Hope I could explore more cookies, however, since moving onto the new job, I come to realize I will be swarmed with all the workshops and meetings and it might be hard to achieve a work-life balance for the time being. I still hope I could at least have the weekend to venture my baking.
To bake the Sugee Almond cookies, it took me less than half an hour to prepare for the dough. Thereafter, I've to rest the dough for at least 4 hours before rolling them into balls. A helping hand from my elder daughter was great, it took less than half an hour to complete the ball rolling process.

This Sugee cookies is very tasty, crispy and crunchy. More importantly, it's not too sweet. It's a good choice to serve guests during Chinese New Year. Have fun!



Here is the recipe (about 100 pieces).

Ingredients:
- 230g Ghee
- 140g Icing sugar
- 395g plain flour } sift
- 2 tsp baking powder } together
- 60g ground almond
- 80g chopped almond (toasted)

Method:
1. Cream ghee for 30 sec and then add in sugar, beat at high speed till light and fluffy (about 7-8 mins)
2. Add in flour and mix well to form dough.
3. Cover the dough with a piece of cloth and leave it to rest for at least 4 hours.
4. Preheat oven at 150*C with fan.
5. Add ground almond and toasted chopped almond to dough and lightly knead.
6. Roll the dough into 1.5 tsp ball size and place into cookies baking tray.
7. Bake at 150*C (fan forced) or 170*C (top bottom heat) for 20-22 mins.

2nd batch:
Did another batch of sugee cookies on Feb 7 using the same recipe but with a cut down version of 10% sugar  (from 140g to 126g).  In addition,  I used top bottom heat instead of fan forced as  realized my oven tends to be hotter and cookies get burnt easily if I use fan mode.   This batch of cookies has less crack line and the colour is lighter.  Taste wise, it's really very yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails