Sunday, November 1, 2009

Strawberry Japanese Cheese Cake

Japanese cheese (or known as light cheese) is one of my favorite dessert. I remembered when I first tried this cake, I couldn't stop eating. Both my daughters loved it as well. As the cake texture is moist and light, you may not feel full even after pieces and therefore, you may be overeating.

I baked this cake a couple months ago, I flopped in my first attempt as I set the oven temperature too low. The cake was still uncooked even after 2 hours, I managed to succeed in 2nd attempt but since then, I didn't bake anymore as I have other "to-do" list. In fact, this is not in my plan today but because I have to clear a couple of stuffs in my fridge - e.g. strawberry and whipping cream and this recipe fits in.

By right, this should be easy to bake and should not go wrong. I guess today is not my day, it doesn't turn out as expected. My new oven has given me a lot of headache especially when using water bath method, the bottom of the cake is always wet even though the top is already set. Fortunately, after chilled, the cake still tastes good. The strawberry blends very well with the cream cheese, it's very refreshing and delicious. I believe if I'll to bake again, I will cut down the sugar as it's a bit too sweet for me.

If you are the cheesecake and strawberry lover, I believe you will like it. 

Ingredients :
  • 125g cream cheese
  • 100 caster sugar (can cut down to 80g)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • ¼ cup (60ml) whipping cream
  • ¼ cup (60ml) oil
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice (or ½ lemon)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 70g strawberry puree
  • 30g cake flour } sifted
  • 1 tbsp (10g) corn flour } together
  • 4 egg whites
  • 40g caster sugar
  • ¼ tsp cream of tartarPreparation- Preheat oven at 160*C. Baking Time: 1 hr (+/-20mins). - Baking pan: Spring form pan wrapped with foil and base lined with baking paper.

    Method 
  • 1. Cream cheese using mixer and than add sugar until light (1 to 2 mins) 
  • 2. Add in egg yolks, one at a time and mix well after each addition. 
  • 3. Preheat Oven with boiling water for water bath.  
  • 4. Micowave milk and oil (milk below oil)for 20 sec and then immediately stir with balloon whisk and add into the cheese mixture (step 1).  
  • 5. Mix the strawberry puree and lemon juice and then followed by sifted flour using balloon whisk. Put aside. 
  • 6. Whisk egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks formed, whisk in sugar and cream of tartar and whisk until stiff.  
  • 7. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cheese mixture (step 5) before folding the cheese mixture into the egg whites.  
  • 8. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in water bath in a preheated oven at 160* for 1 hr or until the centre is set and golden brown.  
  • 9. Remove the cake from pan immediately. Set aside to cool.

    Recipe for Strawberry Puree:  
- Blend strawberry with 1 tbsp of water and sugar till smooth. Cook strawberry puree and add pinch of cornflour to thicken. Set aside to cool.

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails