Saturday, November 28, 2009

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake

I was so excited when I saw the stack of Korean Strawberries sitting at the FairPrice outlet as it's very hard to get. Althoug it's much costly than those imported from US or ANZ, I think it's worth the price as it tastes much nicer and sweeter.

This Strawberry Shortcake is one of my "to-bake list", since this is a fresh fruit dessert, it's important to get sweet and fresh strawberry. I didn't rush into baking this previously because I reckon that the US or ANZ one will not able to bring out the taste. I've been waiting for the Korean strawberries.. finally, I get to bake today:)

I used the same sponge cake recipe as I baked for Mango Cream Cake since this is my most satisfied recipe. It's very spongy. I didn't cut down the sugar level this time round thinking that the strawberry doesn't taste as sweet as other type of fruits, the sweetness of the cake will blend well with it.

I like the shape of these strawberries, they are equally big in size. Unlike the US' or ANZ's, I normally have to buy extra in order to choose the size that I need. Since I wasn't baking this for someone's birthday and there is no occasion, I didn't ice the whole cake, I only decor the top and left the sides empty.

With some decoration of strawberries on top, the cake turned out very beautiful and tempting. As expected, the cake texture is very spongy and light, with the combination of whipped cream and strawberry, it's very refreshing. This is surely a delicious dessert.  Good try!

To bake the spongy cake, please follow this link.
For the topping and filling, pls follow the instruction below.

Ingredients:
- ½ tsp Gelatin dissolved in 1 ½ tbsp boiling water
- 200 ml Whipping (dairy) cream ( use 300ml if ice whole cake)
- 2 ½ tbsp Sugar (can cut down if u want less sweet)
- 1 tsp kirsch/rum (can replace with vanilla essence)
- 1 Sponge Cake
- 300g -400g Strawberries (1/2 cut into pieces, 1/2 cut into half)

Method 
1. Dissolved gelatin by adding boiling water or double boil.
2. Whip cream (under ice water) and sugar for 1-2 mins or till soft peak form.
3. Add in kirsch/rum and dissolved gelatin and mix well.
4. Slice cake horizontally into 2 and spread 1/3 of the cream on the bottom half.
5. Line with strawberries and spread another 1/3 of the cream over.
6. Cover with the top half of the cake and spread the remaining cream over
7. Decorate with strawberries and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails