Friday, November 27, 2009

Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Streusel Cake

Christmas is arriving, my initial plan was to bake some Christmas delights since I took up some Christmas baking lessons lately, I wanted to try it out before the big day. However, given that there was still a cup of sour cream not opened but expiring, I would have to re-prioritise my plan:(

I browsed through some of my favourite blogs and found this recipe, Chocolate Chips Streusel Pound Cake, from My Kitchen Snippets. This baker, Wan, seems like to use sour cream as part of the ingredients for her cakes/ desserts. After taking a look at the recipe, I realized it is similar to one of the recipe I have, i.e. Coffee Cake with Walnut Crumble. Since I am very satisfied with my Coffee cake's, I decided to make a minor tweak and therefore created another flavour - Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Streusel Cake.
I saw some of the cakes Wan baked using the bundt pan, it makes the cakes shaped so beautifully. Since I've one but never used before, I decided to give it a try.
I realized that using bundt pan, beside the cake looks like a professionally baked gourmet cake, the cake is easily removed from the pan and the clean-up of the pan is so easy. This cake is generally good, it's moist and buttery, and just chocolaty enough with crackling cinnamon walnut crumbles on top but it's too sweet and not to my taste bud.

I cut the cake into a few portions and gave them to my neighbours and mum-in-law as I would like to share this treat with them. Hope they will like this cake. 
Preparation:- Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.

Streusel Ingredients:- 50g plain flour } sifted
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder }
- 50gm cold butter (cut into cubes)
- 70g brown sugar
- 80g chopped walnuts

Method 
1. Rub butter into flour and cinnamon powder till crumb.
2. Mix in brown sugar and chopped walnut. Mix well. Chill in fridge.

Cake Ingredients:
- 150g butter
- 230g caster sugar (can cut down to 220g)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 260g plain flour }
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder } sifted
- ½ tsp baking soda } together
- 250g sour cream mixed with 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup (abt 130g) chocolate chip

 
Method 
3. Beat butter and add in sugar and salt till light and creamy.
4. Beat eggs in one at a time to butter mixture till smooth.
5. Add in vanilla essence. Mix well.
6. Fold in a portion of flour, baking powder and baking soda with a spatula (at low speed if use mixer), alternate with a portion of sour cream (and milk). Repeat the same step till complete all the ingredients (Don’t Over Mix). Fold in chocolate chips and mix well.
7. Sprinkle half of the streusel into the bundt pan and pour the batter. Top with the remaining half of the streusel.

8. Bake at 170*C for 45-50 mins.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails