Friday, October 23, 2009

Marble Cake

I'd a complete baking disaster two days ago when trying to bake a marble cake for breakfast. Everything went smoothly until the cake got into the oven. I smell something burning but didn't bother as I thought the smell came from my neighbour. When the cake was done and I opened the oven, I realized that was where the smell came from. When I removed the cake from the baking pan, I reckoned the cake was not fully cooked as the base was slightly wet (although I had tested with a skewer). I had no choice quickly put it back to oven, after 5 mins, I saw a haze of smoke with a strong burning smell rose from the oven, I quickly switch the oven off and removed the cake immediately. The cake comes out an inedible mess as the burning smell has seeped into the cake and texture has become hard and dry after the rebake. Since nothing can be salvaged, I have to dump it away :<

I found out the culprit of this whole disaster thereafter, it is the baking pan I used. Because of a loose bottom, there were some leakages dropped in the oven. Fortunately, this damage is only a cake, the oven is still in good condition. I could only take this as part of the lesson learned, I must remembered if a loose bottom pan is used, I must wrap with a layer of foil to prevent another mishap happening again.
 
I persevered the determination to bake this cake despite the blunder and managed to get it right this round. The cake turned out very soft, spongy and delicious. Those who tasted commended and like it.  This is less buttery than other butter cake recipe I have, it's my preference if I'll to bake marble cake again.  

Here is the recipe.
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.
  • Line and grease a 8" square baking pan.
Ingredients:
  • A: 250g cold egg whites, 50ml cold water, 170g caster sugar, 1 1/2 tsp ovalette, 2 egg yolks, 200g superfine flour, 3/4 tsp double-action baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • B: 170g butter (melted), 2 tbsp condensed milk
  • C: 2 tbsp coco powder
  • D: some nibbed almond
Method:
  • Whisk ingredient (A) at high speed until thick and fluffy (abt 10 mins). Fold in ingredient (B) and mix well. Take out 1/3 of the batter and fold in ingredient (C).
  • Scoop 2 scoop of plain batter into the centre of the tin. Top with 1 scoop of chocolate batter. Don't level the batter. Repeat until batter is finished. Sprinkle some nibbed almonds on the surface.
  • Bake for 40-45 mins. Cool cake well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails