Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mango Crystal Mousse Cake

I bought a couple of cookbooks during my recent trip in Hong Kong. Some of the recipes are very simple and interesting. I picked this recipe, i.e. Mango Crystal Mousse Cake from the "Hand-made Cake" cook book because I like mango sago type of dessert. I thought the combination of mango, sago plus whipping cream should blend very well, it should give a chewy and refreshing effect. I was excited and looked forward to the cake to set but was a bit disappointed after tasting. First, I believe I have overcooked the sago, the chewy effect has no longer exist. Secondary, the mousse is too thick, it becomes too milky and rich, and has covered the mango favour. My hubby has the same comment as well. If there will be 2 to 3 layers of sponge cakes lay in between the mousse, I believe the creamy taste can be cut down, it could enhance the cake texture and favour as well. However, I guess it's all up to individual preference.

If you like creamy and milky cake, you can have this recipe.
Ingredients:

- 60g digestive biscuit (crushed)
- 35g melted unsalted butter
- 200g mango puree
- 3 pieces leaf gelatine (for filling)
- 40g sugar
- 200g whipping cream
- some mango cubes (for filling)
- 50g sago (for filling)
- some mango cubes (for decoration)
- some sago (for decoration)

Method:1. Soak leaf gelatine in cold water until tender. Drain and put into small bowl. Melt gelatine over a pan of hot water. Set aside.
2. Combine crushed biscuit and melted butter. Flatten mixture in cake ring. Chill in fridge for 30 mins until cake base hardens.
3. Whisk whipping cream and sugar to soft cream texture. Add mango puree and gelatine solution. Mix well.
4. Pour mousse onto cake base half filing the ring. Add an even layer of sago and mango cubes.
5. Add remaining mousse until ring is 90% full. Chill in fridge until set. Add decorations.
6. Remove from fridge. Heat cake ring with hair dryer. Gently remove the ring.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails