Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mango Cream Cake

My mum's birthday is coming and my sis-in-law suggested me to bake her a cake since it's more cost economical than buying one from a bakery shop. I think it's a good idea since I like to bake and could use this as an opportunity to decorate a cake. Icing is a skill which is not easy to acquire, however, practice makes perfect. Most older folks don't really like creamy cake and dessert especially my mum, she is a traditional woman who is not very expose to western food and culture. There are only handful of cakes she likes, one of them is durian cake but I had baked a couple of times. My sis-in-law hinted my mum likes mango cake as well. Without further hesitation, I accepted the challenge.
I baked a mango yogurt mousse cake before, I wasn't very satisfied with the end result although my family and neighbour liked it. I think I should try another recipe. I love the Secret Recipe's Mango Delight Cake as it is very refreshing if my memory strikes. I created a recipe for this since I didn't have one on hand. To ensure my ability to deliver my commitment on my mum's big day, I did an experiment last weekend. The end result turned out to be satisfactory, the cake was light and spongy, the mango with the cream blended perfectly, it's refreshing and yummy! I didn't pay too much attention on the cosmetic but I will make sure it looks good and appetizing on my mum's BD!


Here is the recipe for the Mango Cream Cake.

Preparation
- Preheat oven at 160*C for 15 mins.
- Baking tray size: 7" square. Base lined with baking paper (Don’t grease the side).

Sponge Cake Ingredients  
- 4 egg Yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup Oil
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 80g Cake Flour } sifted
- ½ tsp Baking power }
- 4 egg whites
- 40g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar

Method 
1. Mix egg yolks and sugar until the ribbon stage. Lighter in colour, pale yellow.
2. Microwave milk and oil for 20 sec and immediately stir into the egg yolk mixture (Step 1) with a hand whisk.
3. Add in vanilla essence and sifted flour. Stir till smooth.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks formed. Add in the sugar and cream of tartar, beat until stiff. Fold in 1/2 portion of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture (step 3) and mix well. Repeat the same step for the remaining egg whites. Mix well.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven at 160*C for 40 -50 mins.
6. Once bake, let it cool down.

Filling and Topping Ingredients
- 1 tsp Gelatin dissolved in 3 tbsp boiling water
- 400 ml Whipping cream
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence
- 700-800g Mango (cut into cubes)

Method 
7. Dissolved gelatin by adding boiling water or double boil.
8. Whip cream and sugar (under ice water) for 1-2 mins or more and then add in dissolved gelatin mixture and whip until soft peak form.
9. Slice cake horizontally into 3 layers. Spread the whipped cream to the first layer of the cake, top with a layer of mango cubes and cover with another layer of cream.
10. Lay the 2nd slice of cake, spread a layer of whipped cream, top with a layer of mango cubes and then cover with another layer of cream.
11. Lay the last slice of cake and cover with the remaining cream over.
12. Decorate with some mango cubes or others as desired and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails